Sunday 2 June 2013

Pom Poms



I have been thinking about pom poms for ages – more specifically about making poms poms and that there must be a simpler way than the fiddly cutting out cardboard rings and posting yarn endlessly through the hole etc. that I remember from school. I have also been thinking about making bookmarks (several ideas here, none of which have made it any further than my head as yet) so I was very pleased, and a little excited, to find this fab Pom Pom Bookmark on Pinterest (a growing habit). I found the nearest ‘free’ (i.e. not mid-project) ball of yarn to hand and made a bookmark for Elspeth, as she has been previously promised one. So, so quick, and very satisfying, and what a great way of using up bits of yarn that have nothing better to do. 



 The pom poms have started to multiply now, a few have turned into chicks… 




…and I have a basket of more waiting for a suitable purpose (I have a few ideas already – what would you use them for?). 




I love the silvery colours of these and the slight shine of the yarn. I used Stylecraft ‘Life DK’ which is a 70% Acrylic 30% Wool blend. I'm still deciding whether to add more colour or keep it neutral, what do you think?

Mrs B x

p.s. I'm linking this post to Handmade Monday over at Handmade Harbour.... do go and take a peek...

5 comments:

  1. I love a good pom pom! I've been making some as part of my wedding flowers and have been using scraps from old bridesmaid dresses and veils. Did you use the fork method for these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Such a lovely idea to make them out of veils and dresses - I bet they're beautiful. I made the pom poms by wrapping the yarn around 3 fingers about 100 times, tying all the loops in the middle with another length of yarn and then snipping the ends to release the loops. Needs a good trim when it's done, but I quite like giving them a haircut. Thanks for commenting, my first one!. I'll pop over to your blog and have a look too. Claire x

      Delete
  2. Have you heard of a pompom maker. I have two which I bought in Wales, and they really speed up pompom making. When I ran my craft club, I would let anyone who finished early make a pompom. I made a little film of my daughter making a pompom in about 3 minutes, but can't get it to upload to my blog. If you type clover pompom maker in you will find pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have seen some pom pom makers before (I think I might have even bought one?), but not the Clover ones - they look intriguing. I especially like the idea of the extra small ones. I tried to get one of my daughter's to have a go at making pom poms with her hands but she found wrapping the yarn round whilst keeping the other hand still a bit tricky, these might be easier. Thanks for the tip. Claire x

      Delete
  3. Very cute little chicks. I also like the idea of using them for a bookmark. Great fun. I look forward to seeing what the others turn into. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x