Monday 17 February 2014

A crochet heart is not just for Valentine's...

I’ve been crocheting a lot of hearts recently, inspired by the lovely examples I’ve seen online and the yarn that needs using up in my stash.
 
Hearts shouldn’t be just for Valentine’s Day.
 
 
 
I’m too much of a cynic to celebrate the day. It’s too forced and pink and sweet and well, marketed.
 
I’ve been enjoying making hearts though, in fact I haven’t stopped yet! I keep coming back to them. Every time I need a few minutes to focus, to remember the order of the stitches and regain a little calm and composure.
 
 
We had a busy day yesterday. We celebrated Martha’s 5th birthday with a party (a few weeks early, she doesn’t actually turn five until March). It was a great party, shared with a friend and with most of their class there too. They all had a great time. 
Martha loved it and I was surprised at her confidence being the first to step up to an offered microphone and give her guests a very lovely rendition of “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star”. Priceless.
 
My eldest however, finds the shift of attention difficult and the ever increasing intensity of her jealousy and angst left her exhausted and argumentative. I retreated into a few crochet hearts, my new found space a handy place for little yarn to be picked up whenever needed. A quick respite before the pre-bedtime onslaught of more arguments and Elspeth seemingly torturing herself by refusing to sit anywhere but directly in front of Martha’s rather sizeable hoard of presents!
In spite of Valentine’s Day having passed I will carry on making hearts for a while longer. The sentiment remains too, though in other more meaningful things…
 
 
 
…a present from Elspeth last weekend, when she was in a decidedly better mood.
I love it; it’s perfect!
 
xx
 
 
 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I have just discovered your lovely blog and had a lovely little wander about looking at all the gorgeous things you have made.
    I shall be back to visit again,
    Kate
    www.justpootling.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment. Claire x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x