Monday 8 July 2013

Crocheted Crown - Free Pattern

Here is my very own pattern for a crocheted crown. I've made two already this weekend! The first for my friend's birthday, and the second for Martha after she saw me making the first. It's a bit of a hit too - she has spent the last two days wearing it (on top of her sun hat on Sunday!). Making the second crown gave me the opportunity to write down the pattern so I can share it. There would be no point having a blog about making stuff if I can't share how I make it. Having said this, I am still new to writing patterns and would love to have some feedback. If anyone gets a chance to make a crown - let me know! I'd love to see the results. xx
 
 
p.s. please let me know if the pattern doesn't make sense too!
 


Crown – Child Size

Twilleys Freedom Sincere DK Organic Cotton Yarn
1 ball 623 Strawberry (Yarn A), 1 ball 625 Peony (Yarn B)

Goldfingering Yarn
1 ball Gold (Yarn C)

3mm Crochet Hook

Pattern:

With Yarn A, loosely ch 100, join with ss to form a ring.

Ch3, 1tr in each next 22 st, tr2tog in next 2 st, [1tr in each next 23 st, tr2tog in next 2 st] x3, join with ss to ch3. (96st)

Ch3, 1tr in each next 9 st, tr2tog in next 2 st, [1tr in each next 10 st, tr2tog in next 2 st] x7, join with ss to ch3 with Yarn B, if using. (88st)

[Skip 3 st, 7dtr into next st, skip 3 st, ss into next st] x11, join with ss to beginning of the round using Yarn A.

Ch1, beginning in first dtr of previous round, 1dc in each next 3 st, [3tr in next st, 1dc in each next 7 st] x10, 3tr in next st, 1dc in each next 4 st, join with ss to first dc using Yarn C.
(Cluster of 3 trebles should sit in the top stitch of the 'shell' from the previous round)

1dc in each next 4 st, [(1dc, 3 picot, 1dc) into next st, 1dc in each next 9 st] x10, (1dc, 3 picot, 1dc) in next st, 1dc in each next 5 st, ss to first dc.

Fasten off yarn and weave in ends… Ta Dah!




Linking to Handmade Monday this week...





14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, probably much comfier to wear than most too - no wonder it's had lots of wear!
    I'm afraid I'm no help with testing the pattern, crochet's a bit of a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it does make quite a comfy headband too!

      Delete
  2. I love this! It's absolutely gorgeous, you're so clever! Think it might be beyond my basic crochet skills, but I'd like to have a go - could take me a while though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you x Yes, do have a go! - and please get in touch if you need any help.

      Delete
  3. A fantastic idea and great for small children (who tend to break plastic things)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! All our previous crowns have ended up in sharp pieces on the floor. This one is much kinder to bare feet!

      Delete
  4. This is such a cute idea. And, thank you so much for sharing it with us. I may try to make one for a "king" which is my little grandson! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you x I'd love to see it if you do have a go. I think it would work really well for a King.

      Delete
  5. This is really sweet. I made a crown for my little dog, Pipsqueak last year. She took off with it, and I haven't seen it since. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's tempting... but I don't think my cat would approve! x

      Delete
  6. Love this! With 5 granddaughters I'd better get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my.. how sweet.. this will be my next project for my little princess Granddaughter :) thank you for sharing this adorable pattern

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://minitortuga.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/couronne/

    Made my own. Thanks for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I didn't see you used a 3mm and I grabbed a 3.75mm. This is turning out huge! I think it would fit a woman who has a lot of curly hair. I'm thinking I need to rip it out and start over. Oh, and instead of a chain, I started with the chain and sc in one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x