Monday 7 July 2014

Blog Hop

So.... today I'm carrying on the blog hop from Sam at Betsy Makes. Her blog is lovely and well worth a very good look (if you haven't come here from there already!). There are questions and answers, and two more lovely blogs to visit at the end (but more about those in a bit...).
 
 
What am I working on?
My hexagon blanket. Still. The edging is giving me a bit of bother so I decided to take it off and start again. It should be finished soon.
 
 
When that is completed, I still have a sizeable list of WIPs to tackle. Although, I’m starting to realize that “WIP” (work in progress) is a bit of a misnomer – none of them, strictly speaking, are in progress. I might have to think up a new name (whilst getting them all finished!).
 
 
How does my work differ from others of its genre?
 
It doesn’t! I’m pretty sure of this fact. If I spent my time trying to think of original projects, or a style that was all my own, I’d never get any crochet done, and I’d certainly never be able to write about it - far too much pressure.
 
 
Why do I write/create what I do?
 
Before my eldest daughter was born, my Mum let me into a secret. As far as I can remember she has always made patchwork (handsewn, paper-pieced). She did it, she said, when her eldest was born, as a way of seeing she had achieved something every day; a clear marker of progress in amidst the chaos of a newborn. Hence, I sat down a few weeks before Elspeth arrived and started my first quilt. It was years later that I learnt to crochet, but it has much the same purpose now. Much of what we do looking after our children are tasks that are endlessly repeated; completed, undone and redone, over and over. There are various things that I’ve done to fill this need for permanence (DIY/home improvement was a good one!), crochet is my current saviour – I can measure my days in stitches!
 
 
How does your writing/creating process work?
This is a properly tough question for me. I've never considered myself as having a "process"!  I don’t schedule blog posts. I’ve tried, but I couldn’t stick to it. I photograph what I'm working on and write about it. Sometimes I'll include a few snippets of other important stuff that's going on at home too. My crochet projects come about through a combination of need/want and inspiration. It might be easiest to explain by going through the “process” of something I am working on at the moment…
 My new blanket – as yet unstarted, so the plans may change a bit as I go along… I decided last year that I wanted to make a blanket for each of my girls. An heirloom blanket, one where I would not (within reason) worry about the cost of yarn and make something beautiful that would last each of them a lifetime. Martha’s is finished. Elspeth’s is next. Trying to find a point of origin – the moment I had the idea, is hard…. I think it was as I was finishing this Mystery Blanket.
 
 
The block stitch around the edge came together in such a way that I wanted to use it more – It gave me an idea that, combined with a specific yarn (one I’ve been after an excuse to use for ages), would make a great blanket.
I did a sample in some yarn from my stash.
 
 
Then, although I promised I wouldn't until the hexagon blanket is finished, I bought the yarn – now I just need to see whether it works!
(Most things I make are probably little more than an excuse to buy yarn!)
 
 
Questions answered, I now get to introduce you to two very lovely blogs
(I'm quite excited about this bit!).
 
I read quite a lot of blogs, some from very far away places - it's lovely to see snippets from the other side of the world, especially snippets involving crochet and fabric. But, being a bit of a homebody at heart, I thought it would be nice to introduce you to a couple of people from my neck of the woods. Both the blogs I'm passing the blog hop baton on to are from Norfolk, UK (just around the corner in the blogging world really)...
 
First, Lisa at Bobo Bun:
 
"I've been writing my blog, Bobo Bun, for over five years now. It's where I go to chat about all the happy things in my life. From creating new ideas, making colourful things to finding old treasure, I especially love to knit, crochet and sew. I've always been creative, without it I think I'd go mad."
 
Second, Penny at Planet Penny:
 
"I've always been a maker. I learned crochet and patchwork from my Granny, took up knitting in earnest when my first son was on the way, and spent my three children's childhood making toys and clothes out of all sorts of bits and pieces.  I was into recycling before it became mainstream.
So when they were grown and going their own way I took myself off to Art School to a course in Visual Studies and got a Degree in making things out of bits and pieces!   Along the way I discovered needlefelting, and that has been a passion ever since.
But I'm far too much of a butterfly brain to only do one thing, and that's how the blog has developed. You'll find me chattering on about wool and textiles, knitting and crochet, recipes, books and patterns, exhibitions and shopping and of course, the adventures of a small dog!"
 
There we are, do go and visit these lovely blogs - I enjoy spending time there, I'm sure you will too.
 
xx
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. As ever the mrsbrownmakes blog is beautifully written. I was your neighbour at the Christmas fayre and watching you crochet inspired me to have another go. I'm still at the beginner stage and if there are too many sleeps between flowers I forget how to double / treble etc. about to attempt some granny squares. Keep writing/ face booking/ blogging it is a wonderfully inspiring read full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, thank you for such a lovely comment. I remember that fair - chilly! Hope the crochet is going well. Claire x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x